Monday, October 13, 2014

Microbrews at Broad St. Brewery in Reinbeck, IA

After weeks of trying to find the time and a ride out to Reinbeck, I finally succeeded. Every Sunday morning my close friend, Jon, and I meet for coffee and chess (and other occasional strategy games). This particular Sunday I requested that we visit the Broad St. Brewery in Reinbeck instead of our usual coffee shop. It would be a refreshing change from our predictable Sunday plans. Jon agreed with enthusiasm and we made the 26 minute trek from Cedar Falls to Reinbeck.
Ignore the first 2 steps as they pertain to my specific address. (now that my address is revealed, please no stalkers or paparazzi.)

Broad St. is a small brewery that adds character to the small town of Reinbeck. The moment you step through the door you feel a sense of coziness and community. Three sets of tables and wooden benches line the  right side of the wall. A handful of bar stools stand neatly at the bar counter, and behind the counter hangs the board naming all the current brews on tap. The last brew on tap, the Sticky Wicket, happens to be a guest brew at Singlespeed at the moment, so if you're interested in trying a taste of Broad St.'s microbrews you can head down to the Cedar Falls' Main St. and try a glass. The Sticky Wicket is a smooth light flavored IPA with a good balance of hoppiness and an ABV of 6.5% if my memory serves me right. 

Jon and I sat at the middle table and set up our chess board and bought a paddle to sample each microbrew. Billy Joel songs played in the background from the record player up at the bar counter. A few other men from town came in as well and sat up at the bar chatting among them-selves. The sense of community in the brewery was strong, especially when one of the men at the bar asked Jon and I if we'd like to try some of his homemade fried green tomato slices he brought in. In a bigger city no one would would have talked to us let alone offer us homemade food. (The fried tomatoes were still hot and quite delicious.) 


Broad St. Brewery is a nice little get away from the cities and offers a unique selection of microbrews. From the sample paddle I noticed that most of the beers had a sweetness to them. Not something I'm entirely accustomed to, but an interesting change of pace. The Black Porter and Sticky Wicket were my favorites on the paddle, but also of notice was their Oktoberfest, and the wheat beer though it's name eludes me. 

For you beer enthusiasts out there who like to go brewery hopping I want to encourage you not to miss this brewery. It may be in a small town but the beers have big flavor. 

2 comments :

  1. Glad you made it out there! Nice map too - you can also embed Google maps if you didn't want to list your address - https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3544418?hl=en. Photos would make a nice addition to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to take my camera with me, and I am not as fortunate as most to have a smartphone with photo taking abilities.

    ReplyDelete