Monday, September 22, 2014

Koppi Coffee IPA: A Diamond in the Rough

I walked into Sidecar today thinking I would just sit at a table, relax with a beer, and get some homework done. Little did I know I would make an impulse buy on the spot for the most expensive beer I've ever bought. (Though to some who really enjoy their unique craft beers I may not have paid that much.)

While I was standing in line at the counter I overheard the barista talking to the male student in front of me. Apparently he was the only one so far who had bought and tried a particular beer and was asked how he enjoyed it. Naturally I was curious to know what beer this was because it might influence my purchase decision. I asked the barista what beer he was referring to and he responded the Koppi Coffee IPA. This particular beer is hard to find around here because there are only 6 of these beers (to the knowledge of the barista) in North East Iowa, and they were all purchased by Sidecar. With this in mind and a natural desire to own unusual and rare things I jumped at the opportunity to be the second buyer of the Koppi Coffee IPA. It cost a pretty penny ($14 plus tax to be exact) but when I saw the size of the bottle I felt better about the expenditure. 

So how did Sidecar happen to acquire all 6 of these unique beers? The barista informed me they had a personal connection with the brewer. The brewer in question, Friedreich of Abu Nawas Brewing Company helps supply Sidecar with artisan beers and ales. This selection includes Prarrie, Mikkeller, and Evil Twin. The Koppi happened to be Mikkeller.

Now that I purchased this rare beer I find myself in a dilemma. Should I drink it or is it unique enough that I should keep it untouched in the bottle to show off? If anyone knows more about this beer and has a suggestion, please leave a comment. 

But since I have not yet opened the Koppi IPA, I also purchased Goose Island's The Muddy Imperial Stout to sip on while blogging. So I suppose I should do a review about that as well. 

Beer Review: 

Goose Island Beer Co. The Muddy Imperial Stout is quite a strong beer. Naturally because it is an imperial and contains 9% alcohol by volume with an IBU of 32. IBU stands for International Bitterness Unit. Usually the hoppier a beer is the higher the IBU. So if you don't like hoppy beers or IPA's look for a beer with a low IBU. But I digress. The Muddy has a deep rich dark flavor with a hint of licorice. Like most dark stouts this stout is also creamier than a regular ale. Just as the name suggests, The Muddy is a very down to earth stout. As a kid I'm sure most of you played the game Candy Land. In Candy Land if there was a deep dark cavern, this stout is the underground lake that occupies the center of this cavern. I give this beer a 4 out of 5 rating, though I caution that this beer is particularly suited for dark beer consumers. 

No comments :

Post a Comment