Friday, September 19, 2014

Sidecar Coffee Shop: When Coffee Just Doesn't Cut It

College Hill is home to the Sidecar Coffee Shop. In my opinion the best coffee shop in Cedar Falls. Perhaps a bold claim, but one I intend to prove. When you walk into the Sidecar you are presented with a lot of stimulus. College kids crowd around the small tables enjoying their coffee and paninis as they study together or simply converse with enthusiasm. The mellow lighting and music offers a relaxing and enticing atmosphere. As you continue to walk towards the counter and glance around you would notice the painting lining the walls. Every few weeks a new artist features their work providing a unique experience with every gallery.

As you walk up to the counter you are greeted by a smiling barista prepared to take your order. The service is usually swift, and for any time consuming order the barista will serve your food or drink to you at your table while you wait. The menu choices are quite extensive for a coffee shop as well. There's the usual coffee related drinks as well as soups, salads, paninis, breakfast pastries, desert bars, and an eclectic selection of beer when coffee just doesn't quite cut it. I've had a few of the beers and I'm quite happy with what they have available.

Beer Review:


Two Hearted Ale is a crisp bubbly IPA with a bitter bite. The bitter piny hop flavor is the overriding characteristic of the ale. It has a deep amber color in the low light of the Sidecar ambiance. All these IPA's I keep drinking are helping me develop a taste for them, though I think it will still take a while to truly appreciate and enjoy the taste completely. The Two Hearted Ale made me think of biting into an acorn. Now I have no idea what an acorn actually tastes like, but I imagine it's something similar to this IPA. I would recommend this ale to any IPA lover, but not to anyone who doesn't enjoy the bitter taste of a hoppy beer. I give the Two Hearted Ale a 3.75   out of 5. 

The Cuvee Renee is a lambic style beer. Absolutely one of my favorite beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. There's a premium cost to purchase it, but worth every penny. It had a light crisp bubbly sensation as you sipped it from the glass. Bubbles rose in a continuous column causing a slight fascination. The beer had a distinct sweet citrus flavor with a tart and slightly vinegar over note. A glass of the Cuvee Renee reminded me of a champagne more than anything. Merchant duVin can offer more information about the lambic style beers. I rate this beer a 4.75 out of 5.

No comments :

Post a Comment